BornBologna , 1959
Massimo Iosa Ghini studied architecture in Florence and graduated at the Politecnico of Milan. Since 1985, he partecipated at the avant-garde of Italian design, creating illustrations, objects and environments for Bolidism group, founded by himself; he was also requested by Ettore Sottsass to partecipate in the Memphis Group. In the same year, he opened the Iosa Ghini Studio and began working both as an architect and designer for several Companies, and developing the direct research and design of experimental products concerning the speed applied to project; he also took part with his works in exhibitions on the international design scene.
Right from the beginnings, Iosa Ghini designs for international Companies including Yamagiwa Lighting in Japan, Silhouette Modellbrillen in Austria, Duravit, Dornbracht, Hoesch in Germany, in the industrial design area; he also collaborated with many Companies operating in the furniture field, both in Italy and worldwide, defining over the years a very recognizable personal style. Among his collaborations are to be named the projects for Moroso, Poltrona Frau, Cassina, Flou, Fiam and Snaidero.
As an architect, his professional development takes place in the design of architectural spaces and exhibitions, cultural and commercial installations, design of stores networks built around the world. He did conferences and lectures in various universities, at the Politecnico of Milan, the Domus Academy, the University of Rome “La Sapienza”, the Scuola Elisava of Barcelona and the Design Fachhochschule of Koeln; he represented Italian design in various international symposia. He took place in design juries including Interieur in Belgium, SMI in Bern, Espaço/ D in Saint Paulo, Brazil. One of his more recent project is the main underground station in Hanover, commissioned by Ustra on the occasion of Expo 2000.